We’ve started our first round of Kombucha this week. Here’s how works if your interested:
1. Find a Scoby starter: got ours here
2. Bring 2-3 cups of water to boil. Add 1/4 cup of sugar. We use organic cane sugar. Let mixture simmer for 10 minutes until sugar dissolves.
3. Turn off heat & add 1 1/2 tablespoons of loose leaf tea or 2 tea bags. Green or black tea are most common. Let steep for 10 minutes.
4. Remove tea bags or tea ball. Allow tea solution to cool to room temperature. Cultures from starter may be killed if not cooled enough. Add scoby starter.
5. Inoculation: Basically set it in a warm place & cover with towel for 5-10 days. After 5 days begin tasting your kombucha. Try not to disturb the new scoby mushroom that has grown.
6. Save the “best” scoby mushroom with 1-2 cups of starter tea. Start the whole process over.